Tuesday, September 2, 2014

1:Class Survey

Personal Information

1. My given name is Margaret but most people call me Maggie. If you prefer to call me Margaret I don't mind at all or feel free to give me another nickname!

2. I was born and raised in Westlake, Ohio. Westlake is a small suburb just outside of Cleveland, Ohio.

3. I don't have a particular grade level or subject that I'd like to teach yet, i'm pretty open to the different options available in the education field. I'm very interested in working with kids or adults more so one-on-one rather than in a large class setting so maybe special education or counseling will be my focus.

4. Some of my interests include running, reality television, and shopping. I think I could honestly say that I may in fact be a shopaholic because I really enjoy the trill of picking out new clothes to buy an wear. Running has evolved into a passion of mine over the past couple of years. Reality television is pure entertainment to me and often a stress reliever. I guess I would say that what makes me "unique" in my own way is my sense of humor, positive attitude, and ability to help others break out of their shell. I am a very personable person and I like to make others feel comfortable especially if they have doubts.

Learning Style & More

5. In order for me to feel comfortable to take intellectual and creative risks in the classroom I must know the teacher to an extent that I can trust that he or she will be accepting and understanding. I also must feel secure in knowing that any point stated actually makes sense.

6. a) a mix of both oral and active class participation as I often like to speak my mind
    b) I am responsible for my own work including reading and projects and if anything is incomplete or   not brought to class that was required I will take ownership and accept the consequences.
    c) Sometimes I fail to be honest with myself when it comes to self-assesment but most of the time I am open to critiquing.
   d) I think I have a fairly good sense of the type of learning style that I prefer which is, visual. If something is being explained to me I usually am able to comprehend the material that is being taught with some sort of visual.
   e) My first instinct when I am taught something that I completely do not understand is to ask the instructor or person who gave the explanation for help or to describe it in a simpler way. In some instances though, I might hesitate because I am too scared to speak up.

Education Past & Present

7. I have always had a love-hate relationship with school but I ultimately always have enjoyed it. As a student, I struggled and I succeeded in many different ways but I liked to be challenged. I have grown so much as a person through my academics because I have been forced to test my limits. One memory in particular from my time as a student was in my junior year of high school. I took my first honors class ever: Honors Government & Economics, it was a very entertaining and interesting class because my teacher made it fun. Towards the end of the semester we were required to write a 10 page research paper on a United States government department and from my memory I was assigned one regarding the arts. I don't remember every detail but I know it took some time to write and ultimately my hard work paid off because I received an A. I recall my teacher pulling me aside and saying that it was a "kickass" paper which made me feel so proud because I knew that I had earned the credit.

8. One significant issue or concern that I feel the field of education currently is facing regards inner city schools and how there isn't enough funding being filtered through the system for students to receive a proper education. In result, many children are testing in reading, writing, and comprehension at the level below the one they should be in.

About Dr. Shutkin
9. What different factors made you decide to go into the field of education and how do feel about the current situation of education in America today?





No comments:

Post a Comment