Thursday, September 25, 2014

Blog Post 4


Lisa Delpit’s quote speaks volumes about student-teacher relationships. I didn’t realize until after I finished reading the chapter that it was discussing ebonic language and the influence that it has over how teachers treat students who use it. I strongly agree with Delpit’s statement because I think that if you made the choice to pursue a career in education you must understand that the children or adults that you are teaching may come from a completely different background than you come from. As a teacher, you have the responsibility of ensuring that your students are capable of excelling by being accommodating to each child’s linguistic form. If I do ultimately decide to become a teacher I hope that I take the time to get to know each of my students and am willing to learn about how their backgrounds have helped shape them as individuals. I probably have looked at kids who use a different form of language than I do like they were weird but I’m sure they thought the same thing about me. I definitely think that Lisa Delpit gave me a better perspective of how I look at my peers in terms of linguistics. I respect her opinion and believe that all teachers should take what she is suggesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment